If you’re a dedicated gamer and don’t use a screen for much more, you don’t need to use a bulky TV monitor to play CoD or WoW. An excellent gaming monitor can provide you with a host of benefits to your gaming experience.
PlayStation 4 and the PlayStation 4 Pro have changed the world of video gaming. With the beautiful resolution and attention to detail, each game is a work of art with which you can interact. Why would you want to play such a high-tech game on a subpar monitor?
These days, monitors can take up less space than conventional TV screens, are cheaper than TVs, and are specially designed for gaming. With superb motion performance and very little input lag, this new crop of gaming monitors for the PS4 is tailored to the expectations of a gamer.
Your main consideration should be the display quality of the image on your monitor, but you also want to think about the availability and variety of ports and the action input for smooth gameplay.
The market is full of monitors and other gaming accessories. If you’re looking to up your game with the best gaming monitor for PS4, here is a breakdown of some of the top contenders.
Note: If you need a PS4 controller alternative, check the detailed 3rd-Party PS4 controllers review here.
Only have time to scan this list? No worries! Here are some important points about some of the highest-ranked monitors.
- Looking for the best overall? The Alienware New Curved 34 inch monitor has an excellent refresh rate and response time. With its large, curved screen and keen details, this is an ideal choice for the dedicated gamer.
- Looking for the best 4k monitor for PS4 Pro? The LG 27UK850-W is a great bet and is comparable to Ultra HD monitors. It’s capable of over 400 nits of brightness, which provides wonderful contrast. Its backlight is white LED arrayed along the edges of the monitor, which reduces cost but may decrease zone-dimming.
- Looking to travel with a portable gaming monitor for your PS4 or PS4 Pro? The Lepow is an excellent compact choice at 15.6 inches and exemplary versatility, as it comes with a USB-C port and mini HDMI ports.
- What if you’re on a budget? What’s a quality cheap gaming monitor for PS4? The Acer SB220Q is made by a trusted technology company and is a lean, light machine at 5.5 pounds. Brightness isn’t this monitor’s strong suit but the 4ms response time makes game action succinct and crisp.
Who Should Get This?
The perfect gaming monitor doesn’t exist because not all gamers have the same needs or expectations. There are countless games on the market for PS4 and PS4 Pro, and each one is a superb mix of quick response time and game action, and gorgeous images and details.
For those gamers who are looking to purchase a specialized monitor, they can choose one that provides a wider range and depth of color, faster action, faster responses, or more portability.
Depending on what you’re looking for, you can choose from a high-end monitor with a stunning display, or a portable monitor suitable for gaming, as well as movie viewing and office use.
The monitor you choose also depends on where you play. If your gaming area is in a dim or dark part of a room, you won’t have to worry if the monitor only exudes 250 nits of brightness. If, however, your gaming station is next to a window, one of your considerations for the best gaming monitor for PS4 Pro is the brightness factor.
How We Picked the Best Gaming Monitor for PS4 AND PS4 Pro
The first step in picking out a gaming monitor for PS4is to evaluate what types of games and applications you’ll be running on it most of the time.
Refresh Rate and Resolution
Fast-paced games like shooting games or racing scenarios work best when the monitor has a higher refresh rate. Slower games like RPGs or turn-taking modules are best served by a monitor that has a high resolution.
Resolution is the number of horizontal pixels, like 1440p or 1080p, that fit on the screen. 1080p or 4K is the most common resolution for both gaming monitors for PS4 and TV monitors.
Refresh rates are displayed in Hz, which refers to how many times per second the whole page is redrawn. An entry-level gaming monitor for PS4usually has 1080p 60Hz, and an excellent median between price and performance is usually 1440p 144Hz.
Response time is another term you may come across, and it refers to how quickly the pixel can turn from grey to white to grey again. Gaming monitors, in particular, have response times at less than 5ms, with TN panels as the fastest, and VA or IPS screens the slowest.
Best Gaming Monitor for PS4 and PS4 Pro: Our Picks in 2022
Best Overall: Alienware NEW Curved 34
With a large, curved display and quick refresh rate, this monitor offers buttery-smooth gameplay and beautiful imagery. Its 1440p resolution provides sharp, detailed images, and the 120Hz refresh rate delivers realism and extra smooth action.
- Pros: Along with the excellent resolution and response rate, this monitor uses G-sync technology, which synchronizes the GPU and monitor, cutting down on any tears or smears in the image. This beautiful immersive display is the best gaming monitor for PS4.
- Cons: Brightness and contrast are not at the highest levels, and it has no HDR support, which suits competitive gamers but not all gamers.
Best 4K Monitor for PS4: LG 27UK850-W
This monitor gives you a lot of bang for your buck and smoothly displays 4K content from a variety of sources. With superbly accurate colors, the LG 27UK850-W is the best 4K monitor for PS4 and is capable of over 400 nits of peak brightness. This monitor’s backlight is white LED ranged at the edges, which decreases the benefits of zone-dimming but also keeps the monitor reasonably priced.
- Pros: For a much lower price, the LG 27UK850-W is comparable to the ideal Ultra HD monitors and the accuracy of the color calibration will please seasoned professional gamers.
- Cons: Image adjustments are not viable in HDR mode and the limit to its refresh rate is 60Hz.
Portable Gaming Monitor for PS4: Lepow 15.6 Inch Portable Monitor
One of the more superior, large portable monitors, the Lepow has a broad screen at 15.6 inches and versatility with its USB-C and mini HDMI ports. The Lepow is the best portable gaming monitor for PS4 due to its versatility, productivity, and reasonable price.
With 1080p, it isn’t as crisp as some of the other stationary monitors, but it is a sight above other portable monitors on the market. The smart cover and screen protector keep it safe from scratches while not in use.
- Pros: Roomy screen offers crisp images and a handy OSD menu and controls.
- Cons: Colors may look flat, especially reds and purples.
Cheap Gaming Monitor for PS4: Acer SB220Q
This monitor is a compact, inexpensive option that won’t take up a lot of space, and can be used as a cheap gaming monitor for PS4 and for home movie viewing or office use as well.
Coming from a trusted manufacturer like Acer, it is a thin and trim monitor at 5.5 pounds that displays excellent crisp images from a wide variety of viewing angles.
The 4ms response time makes game action quick and well-synced and the brightness is mediocre at 250 nits.
- Pros: Radeon-free sync technology.
- Cons: No DVI port so if your graphics card is supported by DVI, you’ll have to use an adapter.
Useful Tips & Resources
Your decision for the best monitor for PS4or PS4 pro depends on what your expectations are. If you value the smoothness of gameplay, you may have different priorities than a gamer who enjoys the details of the image and varied color scales.
For a beautiful image, IPS (in-plane switching) technology offers an amazing color display and 4k gives you clear details in every gamescape. Look for no more than 5ms for response time, as you still want a fun gaming experience. HDR and a deep color gamut are rare and pricey, but amazingly beautiful if you can find and afford it.
For gamers whose sole aim is a fast, immersive gaming experience, you need a refresh rate of at least 1080p with a better model at 1440p. A response rate for this type of monitor should not be over 3ms, and the unit should include G-sync or FreeSync technology.
Buying the best gaming monitor for PS4 or PS4 depends on the types of games you play and your expectations as to response rate, image clarity, definition, and more. Price is a consideration as is the area in which you enjoy gaming.
Many gamers use a TV monitor for their gaming purposes, but these units can be clunky and are not geared to gaming in particular. A new batch of gaming monitors keeps the desires of gamers firmly in place as a first priority with excellent refresh rates, response times, brightness, and color ranges.
You don’t have to settle for a TV; instead, opt for a specialized gaming monitor for your PS4 or PS4 Pro.