A strong password does help! It allows you to offer your essential documents an extra layer of security. But setting up a complex password for your Lenovo Laptop can sometimes lead you to severe consequences. Especially if you just forget the password, your access to all the data and other stuff gets restricted. Fret not, as we are here with our expert’s guidance on how to reset password on Lenovo laptop.
Go through our troubleshooting guide and unlock Lenovo laptop without any hassle. Try each method and step in chronological order to reach the optimum solution. Here you go!
Method 1. Reset Lenovo Laptop Forgot Password with Pre-created Password Reset Disk
A password reset disk is the easiest way to reset password on Lenovo laptop. But this method only works when you have created the reset disk beforehand. A reset disk can be a CD-ROM or just a flash drive. You must perform the below steps to reset your Lenovo laptop password.
Step 1: Open your Lenovo laptop first and try to log in with the password you know, no matter if it’s right or wrong. If the password is wrong, keep putting it 5 times a row to make the “Reset password…” link visible on the screen.
Step 2: Once the “Reset password…” link is displayed, click on it. Alongside this, insert the password reset disk (CD-ROM or flash drive) into your Lenovo laptop.
Step 3: Now the Password Reset Wizard will be visible, click “Next” to proceed.
Step 4: After that, a drop-down menu will appear on your screen where you can select the password reset disk. Click “Next” to continue.
Step 5: Once the next page is visible, type a new password that you want to use further. Retype the password to confirm and follow the on-screen instructions on the Password Reset Wizard to end the whole password reset process.
Step 6: Reboot your Lenovo laptop and log in with the new password.
This method can be a potential answer to your query- how to reset password on Lenovo laptop? In case you haven’t created a reset disk beforehand, resetting the password of Lenovo laptop using this method is impossible.
No need to feel paranoid, as we’ve got your back! Wondering how? Scroll down to know it all.
Method 2. Reset Lenovo Laptop Forgot Password with PassFab 4WinKey
Forgot to create a bootable password disk in advance? Nothing to worry about! Use PassFab 4WinKey to burn a new one for the Lenovo laptop password reset. Before we start with the steps, let’s look at the prime feature of this utility program- PassFab 4WinKey. Or read our PassFab 4WinKey review here.
Key Features of PassFab 4WinKey:
- PassFab 4WinKey allows you to remove or reset your Windows password
- Compatible with all the Windows versions, Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7/Vista/XP and Server 2019
- It can be used to delete or create Windows Account on your Lenovo laptop
- Easy-to-use interface
- 3 steps method of recovering or resetting Lenovo laptop password
- Allows you to burn a bootable password reset disk with the default ISO image file
- Can quickly create bootable CD-ROM DVD-ROM disk and bootable USB disk
- Four different editions with different pricing and features allow you to choose the most cost-effective version depending on your needs.
You need to follow three steps to unlock the Lenovo laptop password with PassFab 4WinKey, one of the best Windows password recovery. Here we have mentioned all three steps in detail. Follow all the guides carefully to get the job done,
Step 1: Create a Password Reset Disk for Your Locked Lenovo Computer
- First, download and install PassFab 4WinKey on an accessible computer.
- After completing the installation, open the application.
- Now insert a bootable CD or DVD into the computer. You can insert a USB flash drive too.
- As you get the warning message saying all your data available in the particular drive will be erased, click on the “Next” button.
- Wait until the bootable disk completes the burning process. Once the disk or flash drive is prepared, move to the next step.
Step 2: Boot Your Lenovo Computer from The Disk You Have Prepared
- Firstly, insert the USB drive/ CD or DVD you prepared into your locked Lenovo computer.
- Then, restart the computer and press the “F12” button on your keyboard to enter the Boot menu.
- After successfully entering into the boot menu, locate the disk you inserted. Use the arrow keys on your keyboard to move between the menu. Select the bootable drive and hit the “Enter” button.
- After that “Save” and “Exit” Boot menu.
Step 3: Reset/Delete/Create/Remove Lenovo Laptop Login Password
- Once you exit the BIOS settings, your computer will restart.
- Select the Windows system in your Lenovo laptop that you want to reset the password.
- Now, in the next screen, you are given all the user accounts available on your Lenovo laptop; select the account from which you want to remove the password.
- Then, choose the feature you want to use, select the “Reset Account Password” option in this case and hit the “Next” button
- Now, in the pop-up window, enter the new password you want to set for your Lenovo laptop and click on the “Reset” button
- Click on the “Reboot” button.
- Finally, your system is ready to use when your Lenovo laptop completes rebooting. You have successfully reset the password.
Once you are done with all the above three steps, the issue you were facing must have been resolved by now. But somehow, if you are looking for more options to reset your Lenovo laptop password, we have that as well. Try the method we have mentioned below.
Method 3. Reset Lenovo Laptop Forgot Password through Microsoft Account (Windows 8 and Higher)
Resetting your Lenovo Laptop Forgot Password through Microsoft Account applies only to Windows 8 or Higher versions.
One of the major features of Windows 8 and higher versions is that you can link your Microsoft Account with the user account of your PC. To reset your Lenovo laptop password with your Microsoft Account, you just have to access the internet from another device. Next, follow the below steps.
Step 1: Visit the Microsoft login page from your device
Step 2: Type in your valid email address; make sure you’ve used it while creating the account.
Step 3: Now hit the “I forgot my password” option.
Step 4: If the system asks you to put your email address again, do so.
Step 5: Now, select an option where you would like to receive the security code (phone or email).
Step 6: Next, click the “Send Code” button, and you will receive it on the chosen option.
Step 7: Type the code in the given box, hit “Next”, get your new password and type it in exactly where required.
Step 8: You’re done with your password reset.
Method 4. Reset Lenovo Laptop Forgot Password with Command in Safe Mode
Apart from the methods mentioned above, you can reset Lenovo laptop forgot password with command in safe mode.
Step 1: Firstly, reboot your Lenovo laptop.
Step 2: Then, press and hold the “F8” button on your keyboard to enter the Advanced Boot Options
Step 3: Now, as you are given the three options, Select the “Safe Mode with Command Prompt” option and press the “Enter” button.
Note: When you are in safe mode, your mouse will not work. Hence you need to use the arrow keys to move between the menus and the “Enter” button on your keyboard to select the options.
Step 4: Then wait until your operating system completely loads the files
Step 5: As you appear on the login screen, log into the system with administrative rights
Step 6: Once you log in, the Command Prompt screen appears automatically. Type in the following command and press the “Enter” button to check the number of user accounts on your Lenovo laptop.
Step 7: Now, from the list of administrators select the one to which you have forgotten the password.
Step 8: Type in the following command and press “Enter.”
net user username newpassword
Note: Here, “username” is the username of your locked laptop. And “newpassword” is the new password if you set it up.
Step 9: Now you have to log into your Lenovo laptop with your new password to check whether you have successfully reset your password or not.
It’s always good to create a password reset disk beforehand or at least more than one administrator of your laptop. But somehow, if you have forgotten to do that, it’s never going to be as tough as it used to be because someday, if you again need to ask how to reset forgotten password on Lenovo laptop? The PassFab 4WinKey will be there to reset your password with convenience.