Bookmarks are a great way to save links for later use, but sometimes they can pile up and become cluttered. Thankfully, you can quickly delete bookmarks on your Mac in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox by accessing your bookmarks in each browser and right-clicking them.
I’m Jon, a Mac expert and owner of a MacBook Pro. I’m here today to show you how to delete bookmarks on Mac– in Safari, Chrome, and Firefox. Whether you’re looking to clear some space or reorganize your bookmarks, follow our simple steps, and you’ll be good to go!
Why Delete Bookmarks on Mac?
Most of us have bookmarks that we’ve saved over the years. And, just like anything else on our computer, they can start to pile up and get cluttered. If you’re like me, you probably have a few bookmark folders that are empty because you can’t even remember what was in them in the first place!
Deleting bookmarks can help you declutter your Mac and make it easier to find the ones you actually use.
Now that we’ve got that out of the way, let’s take a look at how to remove bookmarks on Mac in different browsers. Keep in mind that the steps may vary slightly depending on your browser.
How to Delete Bookmarks on Mac Safari
Safari is the default web browser on Mac and is likely the one you use most often.
1. Open a Safari window, click “Bookmarks” in the dropdown menu at the top left of your screen, and select “Show Bookmarks.”
2. The Bookmarks pane will appear on the left side of your Safari window.
3. If you want to delete a bookmark in Safari, find it in your bookmarks list, right-click on it, and select “delete.”
4. You can also delete multiple bookmarks at once by holding down the Command key and clicking once on each bookmark you want to delete. Then, press the “Delete” key on your keyboard or select “Edit” in the menu bar and select “Delete.”
5. If you want to delete an entire folder of bookmarks, right-click the folder and click “Delete” in the menu.
How to Delete Bookmarks on Mac Chrome
Deleting bookmarks in Chrome is similar to Safari. Here is the steps of how to delete bookmarks from Mac.
1. First, click on “Bookmarks” and select “Bookmark Manager.”
2. This will open a new tab that shows all your bookmarks in Chrome. Find the bookmarks you want to delete by navigating to their folder. Then, right-click (or Control-click) and select “Delete.”
3. If you want to delete an entire folder of bookmarks, right-click on the folder and select “Delete.”
How to Delete Bookmarks on Mac Firefox
Firefox is similar to both Safari and Chrome when it comes to deleting bookmarks.
1. To delete a single bookmark, click on “Bookmarks” in the menu bar on the top left of your screen. Then select “Manage Bookmarks.”
2. This will open a small window. On the left side of the window, click on the bookmark folder you want to trim down. In most cases, your bookmarks will be located in the “Bookmarks Toolbar” in Firefox unless you create more folders.
3. Next, right-click on a bookmark and select “Delete Bookmark.”
4. To delete multiple bookmarks, hold down the Command key and click on each one you want to delete. Then, right-click (or Control-click) and select “Delete Bookmarks.”
5. If you want to delete an entire bookmarks folder, find the folder in your bookmarks list and right-click on it. Select “Delete Folder” from the dropdown menu.
Use Finder to Delete All Bookmarks on Mac
Another option for deleting your bookmark files is using Finder. This is a more advanced method; you should only attempt it if you’re comfortable working with files in Finder.
To delete your bookmarks in Finder:
1. Quit all web browsers on your Mac
2. In Finder, go to the Go menu and select “Go to Folder.”
3. Type in the following path: ~/Library/Safari/Bookmarks.plist
4. Drag the Bookmarks.plist file to the Trash or right-click it and select “Move to Trash”
5. Repeat steps 2-5 for the following paths:
6. Empty the Trash to delete the files permanently
Deleting your bookmark files will delete all your bookmarks in all browsers on your Mac. If you want to keep any of your bookmarks, back them up before deleting the files.
Use CleanMyMac X to Make More Space on Your Mac
Deleting bookmarks isn’t the only way to free up space on your Mac. An easy way to do that is with a third-party app like CleanMyMac X.
With CleanMyMac X, you can manage and declutter your entire Mac, not just your web browser.
However, CleanMyMac X isn’t free and charges a yearly subscription fee.
To delete unused files and more with CleanMyMac X, follow these steps:
- Download and install CleanMyMac X
- Launch the app
- Run the program
- Select the items you want to delete and click remove
- Confirm that you want to delete the selected items
CleanMyMac X will remove the files cluttering up your Mac. The benefit is that it deletes hard-to-find unwanted files on your Mac, like old cache files, logs, and more.
Read More: Best Mac Cleaner
Here are common questions people ask about deleting bookmarks on Macs.
1. How do I delete bookmarks on my iPhone and iPad?
To delete a bookmark from your iPhone or iPad, simply tap and hold the bookmark icon, then select Delete.
2. Where are my bookmarks stored?
Your bookmarks are stored in your browser and in a file called “Bookmarks.plist” in the Library folder.
3. How much space do bookmarks take up?
Bookmarks take up very little space on your Mac– just a few kilobytes. For reference, there are 1,000,000 kilobytes in a single gigabyte.
4. How many bookmarks can you save on your Mac?
Since bookmarks take up very little space, you can store virtually unlimited bookmarks on your Mac. But what would be the point of having thousands of bookmarks?
5. What happens if I delete my bookmarks?
If you delete your bookmarks, they will be permanently deleted, and you will not be able to recover them. However, if you delete your bookmarks in the browser, you can immediately press command + z to undo your deletion.
Deleting bookmarks on Mac is easy, whether you’re using Safari, Chrome, or Firefox. And if you want to delete your bookmarks from all browsers at once, you can find the bookmark files in Finder and manually delete them or use a third-party app like CleanMyMac X to get it done fast.
If you have any questions or need help with anything else related to bookmarks, please leave a comment below!