Nothing feels faster than watching a Mac boot up for the first time. But eventually, this speed starts to reduce, and the frequency of system failures increases. A big reason for this is lack of optimization and insufficient storage space, causing stress on the hardware. Both result from the buildup of excessive junk and harmful files in your Mac.
In such cases, the smartest solution is to get a Mac cleaning software. These software not only optimize your Macs but also keep them snappy over a longer period of time. However, there are fake software that phish information from your Mac. This is why it’s important to have a good understanding of these software so you can choose the best Mac cleaner for yourself.
What is a Mac Cleaner Software?
Mac cleaner software are applications that optimize your Mac by scanning, identifying, and deleting unnecessary files that eat up storage. This includes app cache, temporary files, unimportant files that make your Mac vulnerable to virus attacks, and contents within the trash. It also keeps the rest of your data safe.
Considering that Macs come with very little storage, accumulation of junk files can quickly get your storage full. You might even have to invest in an external hard drive to store data. Due to these unnecessary data, your system slows down as it takes longer for any function to process. This is where the best mac cleaning software enhances the performance of your Mac by deleting files that slow your Mac down.
Who Should Get a Mac Cleaner?
Any macOS user can benefit from the best Mac cleaning software that suits their needs. If you are an amateur using a home computer, you can erase unnecessary files and increase free space easily. These tools can also protect you from malware and spying eyes by removing malicious cookies and other privacy issues.
If you are a professional user, Mac cleaning software allows you to maintain multiple systems effortlessly. It can be an excellent way to improve productivity within a company, and these tools are also very useful for technicians.
How We Tested and Picked the Best Mac Cleaner Software in 2022
Deleting any sort of data from a Mac is a sensitive task. Thus, it is essential to choose a software that handles data carefully in addition to being convenient to use. Keeping these in mind, we considered the following non-negotiable factors to shortlist the best apps to clean Macs in 2022:
- Safety – A reliable mac cleaner that deletes junk data while keeping the rest of the data safe is mandatory.
- Up to date – You need a program that can efficiently keep up with the latest Mac software updates and changes.
- Extensive scanning – It needs to boast spectacular scanning abilities in order to find large and duplicate files quickly.
- Extra features – The best apps to clean Mac must have extra features that help keep the data safe and monitor your Mac’s performance.
Top 10 Best Mac Cleaner Software in 2022
It is time to get into our comprehensive guide on the best Mac cleaning software on the market in 2022.
1. CleanMyMac X
- Best for: In-depth system scans
- System requirements: macOS 10.10 or higher
- Price: Free version available. $34.95 one-year subscription for one Mac. $54.95 one-year subscription for two Macs. $79.95 one-year subscription for five Macs.
The first software on the list is CleanMyMac X. If you want a mac cleaner that removes the clutter of useless files with a bunch of extra features, this is the right choice. The interface categorizes the different types of junk files so you can tend to them separately. And when every component of your hard drive is free of cache files, you will notice a significant boost in speed.
CleanMyMac X conducts deep scans throughout your Mac to pinpoint problems and harmful files. Besides trash removal, this software can also protect your data. It is one of the best and complete Mac cleanup software that will not disappoint you.
- Identifies broken login items
- Super efficient in scanning different types of cache files
- Comes with malware removal
- Includes an uninstaller feature for broken apps
- Malware removal is not always successful
- Best for: Virus and privacy protection of important files
- System requirements: macOS 10.9 or later
- Price: Free version available. $4.16 monthly subscription for three Macs.
MacBooster specializes in optimizing your system speed by filtering out the irrelevant files that are slowing your Mac down. With the Uninstaller feature, you can identify and disable applications that are making your boot times longer. Not to mention that it also updates you on the buggy software that are making your Mac freeze.
On top of that, this software is solid at scanning viruses and malware that could pose a threat to your system. It keeps you safe by providing privacy protection for personal data on your Mac. So if you are looking for the best app to clean Mac, MacBooster is one of the most reliable ones.
- Has a turbo boost mode
- Cleans up Mac memory
- Optimizes your macOS for quicker startup
- Strong Virus and malware protection
- Long system scans
- Best for: Removal of large duplicate files
- System requirements: macOS 10.11 or later
- Price: Free version available. $5.95 monthly package for one Mac for 12 months. $7.45 monthly package for three Macs for 12 months. $10.95 one-time payment for one month.
It is good practice for you to make backups of important data. But this can lead to duplicate copies of random cache files that have no utility. These use up a ton of storage from the already limited amount that Macs come with. This is where MacKeeper comes in handy. It is a powerful Mac cleaning software that locates and eliminates redundant data from all over your Mac.
In addition to clearing up duplicate files, this program comes with a built-in VPN that you can use whenever you like to protect your online privacy. And when you are online, you can take advantage of the ad-blocking feature to have a smooth browsing experience.
- Includes a real-time antivirus
- Efficient duplicate file finder
- Comes with a built-in VPN
- Ad tracker and Ad blocking features are also available
- Lack of ransomware protection
- Best for: Fast disk cleanups
- System requirements: macOS 10.11 or higher
- Price: Free version available. $29.95 for a yearly subscription.
CCleaner is probably the most popular Mac cleaner on this list. This is because of its presence in other operating systems such as Windows, Linux, and Android. Due to its availability across different platforms, the smart algorithm within it is adept at recognizing even the most hidden junk files in your Mac.
The software also traces irregular data patterns across your Mac to locate corrupt or damaged files that you would’ve missed otherwise. The best part is that it runs these thorough scans and prepares junk file analytics in a timely manner to save you a lot of time and effort.
- Thorough cleanup of internet cache
- You can select the type of junk files to delete
- Quick scans available
- Backdated interface
- Best for: Disk space monitoring
- System requirements: macOS 10.11 or later
- Price: Free version available. $44.95 one-time payment.
Launch the software, click on scan and then click on delete. It’s as easy as that to get rid of unnecessary data from your Mac with the help of MacCleaner Pro. It also gives a detailed analysis of the problems inside your disks. Starting from the issues that are hindering the speed of your Mac to the User Files occupying significant disk space, it enables you to manage and delete all sorts of data on your Mac.
If you keep and have a tendency to install a lot of heavy applications, the disk monitoring tools in MacCleaner Pro will help you gauge the status of each drive. Through this, you can get the most out of your work whilst maintaining a healthy hard disk.
- Disk space analyzer
- Memory management tools
- Helps disable unnecessary hidden browser extensions
- Lack of software updates
6. DaisyDisk Cleaner
- Best for: Beginners
- System requirements: macOS X 10.6 or newer
- Price: Free trial available. $9.99 one-time payment.
If you have little experience with Mac cleaning software, then DaisyDisk will be educational as well as efficient at keeping temporary useless files away from your Mac.The interactive interface is user-friendly and gives a quick rundown for all users on how to use it.
The software attaches colors to particular disk files so that they are easy to set apart before taking any action. The storage preview allows you to take a look at which data consumes what amount of storage. If your Mac is low on storage, DaisyDisk will aid you in maintaining a healthy ratio so that your system does not freeze.
- Easy-to-use interface
- Updated scanning features
- Provides detailed disk reports
- Limited feature set
Get DaisyDisk from here.
7. Disk Doctor
- Best for: Regular cache cleanup
- System requirements: macOS X 10.7.3 or later
- Price: $2.99 one-time payment for the complete package.
A major reason behind Macs becoming inefficient is bad disk management. This results from too many functions working simultaneously in the background of your Mac. And most of these functions are not even required.
Furthermore, if you do not regularly check out these files, chances are they will accumulate over time and worsen the condition of your Mac. Therefore, if you simply want a Mac cleaner to do regular disk checkups to clear the clutter, Disk Doctor will ease your workload. The software has preset data and app management settings that smartly take care of all the redundant functions of your Mac. This includes the removal of least interacted files and incomplete downloads.
All you have to do is launch the software and set it up, and it’ll do the rest of the work for you seamlessly.
- Clears unimportant browser data
- Locates incomplete downloads on your hard drive
- Provides detailed statistics on scanned junk files
- Lack of privacy protection features
Get Disk Doctor from here.
8. Drive Genius
- Best for: Fixing and deleting files from corrupt drives
- System requirements: macOS 10.12 and later
- Price: $79 standard license for three Macs per year. $99 for a perpetual license for one year. $299 professional license for ten Macs for one year.
If your Mac is also your workstation, it is likely that you will transfer a lot of documents to and from it. You might also manage your data by disk partitioning. Over time, this causes hard drive problems leading to corrupt files. Your system won’t feel as snappy as it used to, either. In such cases, Drive Genius will help you boost your productivity with its hardware problem detection features.
The software filters out corrupt files from formatted drives allowing you to fix them. Secondly, it traces the temporary files from corrupt ones and helps you clear them up from your Mac. Afterward, you can take a speed test to gauge the snappiness of your computer. This will help you make smart choices to further improve your Mac speed.
- Detects hard drive problems
- Includes a speed test for your Mac
- Can fix most kinds of logical files and folder errors
- Detects folder corruption on formatted drives
- Interface may be too technical for beginners
Get Drive Genius from here.
9. AVG TuneUP for Mac
- Best for: Duplicate file removal, especially photos
- System requirements: macOS 10.11 or above
- Price: $29.99 for one Mac. $34.99 for ten Macs.
If you are a creative professional who stores a lot of pictures on your Mac, you know the headache of storage running out fast, with multiple copies or blurry pictures that can’t be used. Moreover, manually going through all the pictures to delete them consumes plenty of time. This is where AVG TuneUP for Mac makes your life easier.
AVG TuneUP is engineered to track duplicate photos across storage spaces. In addition, it scans for blurry pictures that should be deleted, then presents you with an overview so you can decide which ones to delete. It saves you a lot of space and money because you won’t have to purchase an external hard drive to store pictures in.
Alongside pictures, this is one of the best mac cleaning software because of its capability of uninstalling glitchy files that can cause you problems.
- Identifies poor quality pictures with duplicates
- Cleans up log files and trash
- Presents a preview of long-forgotten downloads
- Uninstalls glitchy apps
- Lacks proper malware protection
Get AVG TuneUp for Mac from here.
- Best for: Tech-savvy professionals
- System requirements: macOS 10.15 Catalina or higher
- Price: Free download available. $29 for a yearly subscription package. $59 one-time payment for a permanent license.
Sensei is a brand new complete Mac performance suite. With this software, you can monitor the status of every component of your Mac. The aesthetic interface houses every Mac maintenance tool that you will need, from system optimization tools to hardware monitoring features. It provides insights into CPU and GPU statistics that allow you to manage your resources better.
Another praiseworthy feature of Sensei is its ability to single out harmful and redundant files that need to be cleared instantly. As a result, the rest of your data doesn’t get prone to damage. It also speeds up the regular tasks that you do on your Mac by helping you maintain suitable disk space. If you want an all-in-one package, Sensei is your one-stop solution to the best Mac cleaning software.
- Includes hardware monitoring tools
- Gives updates on better RAM management for speed
- Uninstaller option locates and deletes buggy apps
- Requires high specs to run smoothly
Get Sensei for Mac from here.
3 Free Mac Cleaners
Unnecessary data deletion is a highly demanding task that requires extreme attention to detail. Otherwise, the software is one wrong move away from erasing an important document of yours along with all the junk files. However, there are free mac cleaners with exceptional software optimization that can clear up a ton of space on your Mac safely.
So we looked into all the free mac cleaners to come up with the best choices for you.
11. OnyX for Mac
- Best for: Learning the basics of mac cleaning software
- System requirements: macOS X 10.2 to macOS Monterey 12
- Price: Free
OnyX is a great learning tool for beginners looking to clear up storage on their Macs. This free Mac Cleaner is not only a junk file remover but is also amazing at rebuilding various damaged databases and indexes. The interface can come off as overwhelming in the beginning, but the step-by-step tutorials will walk you through the entire process of unnecessary file deletion. Soon, you’ll get the hang of it.
Besides storage cleaning, you can use this free Mac cleaner to structure your system files. This will help you identify any non-cache files that you do not need anymore, consequently freeing up more space for you.
- Rebuilds various databases and indexes
- Allows you to configure parameters while surfing the web
- Great at identifying problematic folders
- Helps structure the system files to clear up space
- Lack of security-related features
Get OnyX for Mac from here.
- Best for: Disabling unwanted apps and extensions
- System requirements: macOS Mojave to macOS Monterey
- Price: Free
There are often many applications pre-installed on the Macs that you do not use. Similarly, many third-party software can get installed while downloading something else. In both cases, these useless software eat up space, battery, and RAM. App Cleaner is another free Mac cleaner that specializes in getting rid of these unwanted applications from your Mac.
Another noteworthy feature of AppCleaner is it allows you to disable irrelevant browser extensions that impede your browsing experience. Take advantage of the amazing features this freeware is offering if you are on a tight budget.
- Allows you to turn off annoying login items
- Removes useless browser extensions that slow your Mac
- Allows you to reset problematic apps
- Reliably removes unsafe junk files
- Sometimes removes all browser extensions to enhance performance
Get AppCleaner from here.
13. Disk Inventory X
- Best for: Occasional junk file cleanup only
- System requirements: macOS 10.13 to MacOS 10.15
- Price: Free
Disk Inventory X has a similar interface to DaisyDisk Cleaner. However, Disk Inventory X is free, with organized file categories that make it convenient to use. On top of that, each of the categories has a specific color, so you can easily distinguish between them while using it.
If you want a Mac cleaner with a unique interface without having to make a financial commitment, Disk Inventory X will be a safe bet. It is reliable and will handle your sensitive data carefully.
- Reliably removes unsafe junk files
- Prepares categories on junk file type
- Presets color codes to file types for ease of understanding
- Doesn’t get regular updates
Get Disk Inventory X for Mac from here.
Here are some Mac cleaning software that are worth mentioning. These are almost on par with the options on the main list, so you can take a look at these too.
EaseUS CleanGenius for Mac is a decent junk file cleaner. The software excels at cleaning up browser plugins and freeing up RAM for your Mac to run smoothly. However, it sometimes tends to miss out on small cache files of uninstalled applications.
Umate Mac Cleaner comes with a plethora of features for your Mac. The feature that stands out most is that it allows you to erase personal data to prevent privacy leaks. The one downside of this software is it is not good at filtering out files less than 50MB.
Developed by Intego, Mac Washing Machine X9 delivers remarkable results when scanning for a clutter of temporary files in your Mac. In addition, the program provides stellar virus protection to your system and prevents unauthorized networks from gaining access. It’s an overall security app for Mac.
Parallels Toolbox is an all-in-one toolset for Macs. It houses features like a barcode generator, airplane mode, archive, alarm, and disk cleanup. The downside is that the inclusion of multiple tools made the software lack Mac cleaner optimization.
MacClean provides a suitable solution to the excessive trash buildup in your Mac. To unclog your disk spaces, you can install this software which separates user junk, OS junk, and app leftovers. The lack of extra features makes it a mediocre option against the best mac cleaning software.
Installing apps in a wrong manner leads to the accumulation of numerous logs, caches, and plugins that aren’t even going to be used. MacCleanse does a great job at uninstalling these programs correctly and disposing of the unnecessary files that come with them.
20. MacFly Pro
MacFly Pro is a smart mac cleaning software that keeps a watch on your computer 24/7. And when required, it provides essential advice about your Mac’s storage to maximize your storage capacity. You can expect it to filter out the junk without giving any commands.
Why is My Mac Computer so Slow?
Macs are powerful machines. But over time, they tend to slow down due to unoptimized software and problematic hardware. Both of these result from a lack of maintenance and storage space. Lack of storage slows down your Mac because there is no space for important and newer files to be stored. In addition, there are a lot of irrelevant background tasks clogging up your RAM usage that slow your Mac down further.
Tips to Follow to Prevent Mac from Running Slow
Here are some tips to prevent Mac from running slow:
- Check for background running apps and close unimportant ones.
- Install the best Mac cleaning software and regularly scan for junk files.
- Keep an empty Trash bin.
- Do not keep multiple applications open if you do not need them.
- Install a disk monitoring tool and regularly check up on your disk health status.
- Install an antivirus to keep your Mac safe from malware threats.
- Maintain a healthy temperature with the help of a Mac temperature monitor.
What are the best Mac cleaner software in 2022?
The best Mac cleaning software in 2022 are:
- CCleaner for Mac
- MacCleaner Pro
- DaisyDisk Cleaner
- Disk Doctor
- Drive Genius
- AVG TuneUP for Mac
- Disk Inventory X
Are Mac cleaning software safe?
Yes, Mac cleaning software are safe. Software from reputed brands use a smart algorithm to scan and set the junk files apart from the important files. However, there are various fraudulent Mac cleaners that phish out data as well as damage valuable files on your Mac. Therefore, it goes without saying that you should do thorough research before installing just any Mac cleaning software on your computer.
How often should I scan for junk files?
You should scan for junk files once every 3 days if you want to be extra safe. Scanning for junk files is beneficial as it keeps your system clean. The process doesn’t take long to finish either if you use some of the best apps to clean Mac.
How can I clean my Mac files manually?
Unfortunately, there is no easy way to manually clean your Mac files. You’ll have to find and delete them yourself and uninstall apps manually. You can uninstall apps by finding the app on Finder, dragging the app to the Trash, and then clearing the Trash.
Here are some other tips:
- Clean out unused apps
- Clear your Downloads folder
- Empty your Trash
The “Low Storage” message is a severe nuisance. Especially if most of the storage space gets eaten up by temporary app files and cache. You can go through a ton of files and manually delete the junk items yourself, but doing so will take you a lot of time to finish. And even then, you might miss out on some hidden junk files. Mac cleaning software were made just for this reason.
Mac cleaners scan and get rid of unimportant data for you in a quick and easy manner, so your Mac feels good as new.
We hope that this complete guide on the best Mac cleaner software to optimize and clean Macs in 2022 helped you pick out a tool that you can rely on.