With every aspect of our lives digitized, gadgets such as MacBooks or iMacs will run out of storage space. But organizing and cleaning duplicate files to make more space requires a lot of time and effort. Of course, you can always buy an external hard drive to store the files you don’t frequently use, but there’s a better option.
Duplicate file finders for your Mac. Unlike the first option, the only thing tricky about this second option is finding the best ones to use. Don’t worry about the hard work because we’ve taken the initiative and listed 10 of the best duplicate file finders for your Mac. After reading through this article, all you have left is to choose which one to download.
On a Windows machine? Also Read: Best Duplicate File Finders for Windows
How We Picked the Best Duplicate File Finders for Mac in 2024
Your non-negotiable features to look for in a duplicate file finder might vary on a case-to-case basis. But to give you an idea of how we picked the best ones to recommend, here are the points we considered:
- Overall design and user interface
- Aggressiveness in detecting duplicate files
- Number of scan modes and previews
- Additional features that enhance the overall user experience
Top 10 Best Duplicate File Finders for Mac
1. Gemini 2
- System requirements: macOS 10.10 and higher
- Best for: Aesthetic enthusiasts
- Price: Free trial for three days. Starting at $19.95 for 1 year or $44.95 for a lifetime.
Gemini 2 is a duplicate file finder tool developed by MacPaw. It won a Red Dot award in 2017 for user interface (UI) design; hence, it can be hailed as the most aesthetic duplicate file finder tool on this list.
Not only does it look pretty, but it’s also intelligent and observant in that it detects duplicates, as well as files that are similar to the original. So, you can choose which to remove and which to keep. With Gemini 2, you can stash away your duplicates until you decide to delete them from your Mac for good.
- Aesthetic design
- Detects duplicates and similar files
- Straight-forward and intuitive
- Can slow down other tabs and applications while running
- Slightly on the pricier side, considering there are others in the same price range that already offers a bundle or package
- Deletion confirmation is not available
- System requirements: macOS 10.12 or later
- Best for: Macs with the M1 chip
- Price: Free version available for download. Starts at $19.95 for a one-time purchase.
Nektony Duplicate File Finder is M1 chip-ready, perfect for the newly released Apple laptops and computers. If you’re looking for a duplicate file finder that’s notarized by Apple, then Nektony could be one of your best picks.
It has Cleanup hints to let you know that duplicate files are detected and can be disposed of as needed. This tool also has Auto-Select and Configuration features to facilitate accurate byte-to-byte results when you delete these unnecessary files. It’s also possible to detect the same folders and merge them into one for easier and more effective organization of files.
- Great customer support
- Restoration option available
- Multiple removal options
- Some features are not self-explanatory
- Does not allow higher-level customization to detect image duplicates
- Does not learn based on user’s history
Like Gemini 2, Nektony Duplicate File Finder has a free version ready for download. But if you want to experience more of what this tool has to offer, then buying the Pro version is your best course of action. Nektony offers three plan packages of their Pro version if you’re interested.
- System requirements: use MacKeeper 4.11 for MacOS 10.9 to 10.10; MacKeeper 5.6.1 for MacOS 10.11 and higher
- Best for: an all-in-one Mac cleaning and maintenance
- Price: Free version available to download. The full version starts at $10.95 per month.
If you’re looking for the easiest and ultimate toolkit for your Mac, then MacKeeper is your best bet. It’s an all-in-one app that functions to keep your Mac in tiptop shape at all times. Plus, it’s also notarized by Apple, so you can be sure that this tool works well with your Mac.
This duplicate file finder is also perfect for those who have difficulty telling which files are the original because it selects the duplicate files by default. Even if you select the original file by accident, MacKeeper will let you know before proceeding to get rid of the useless files.
- All-inclusive features in the full version
- Offers many features for security, privacy, and performance
- Has an integrated virtual private network (VPN)
- Other product features are a bit expensive
- Lacks protection against malicious uniform resource locators (URLs)
4. Cisdem Duplicate Finder
- System Requirements: macOS 10.10 or higher
- Best for: viewing real-time scan results
- Price: Lifetime plans start at $29.99 for a one-time purchase.
Cisdem Duplicate Finder has an ignore list feature, so it doesn’t delete useful files by mistake. All you have to do is create that list, and Cisdem will veer away from those files as you wish.
Like the Nektony Duplicate File Finder, this tool also has an Auto-Select feature. Unlike the former, however, Cisdem gives you the option to see how the process is going in real-time. It can also present to you a pie chart of your scan results. It’s comprehensive and will save you time figuring out what went where.
If you’re interested in using Cisdem for 5 Macs, or for academia, you can contact their sales team for discounts. You can also get as much as 30 percent off if you already own any Cisdem tools.
- Many criteria can be used to detect duplicates
- Simple interface
- Reasonably priced
- Longer scanning
- Instant deletion of files if you’re not careful and mindful
5. Duplicate Sweeper
- System requirements: Mac OSX 10.8 or higher, including macOS 12 Monterey
- Best for: Organizing based on file size and date
- Price: A full, perpetual software license for 1 Mac costs $20.
Wide Angle Software’s entry on this list is the Duplicate Sweeper. This tool can help you declutter your storage space, whether in your external hard drive, Google Drive, or iCloud Drive. If you prefer to view your files based on which takes up the most space, you’ll find Duplicate Sweeper’s organization very handy.
Automatically, this tool will also mark multiple duplicates in red, so you’ll know which to get rid of. To further reduce the friction of deleting useless files, you can also sort everything based on the date stamp. Say you’re aware that there will be multiples of each file from your most recent folders; you can just choose to “Keep the Oldest or Newest File in the Group.”
Sometimes, you might just want to sort through duplicate files. Maybe even filter which of the files you can still use in the future. In this case, you’ll definitely appreciate the app’s Recycle feature.
- More organization options to give your desired results
- Allows deletion of multiple duplicates in one-click
- Has a preview feature for one final look before sweeping
- Runs relatively slower than other duplicate file finders
- Not aggressive enough in finding duplicates
6. MacClean 3
- System requirements: Mac OS: macOS Big Sur, macOS Catalina, macOS Mojave, macOS High Sierra, macOS Sierra, OS X 10.11, 10.10, 10.9
- Best for: Security and privacy protection
- Price: Yearly plan starts at $19.99. Lifetime plans start at $29.99.
The MacClean 3 duplicate file finder from iMobie is your all-in-one tool for storage cleanup, optimization, and secure privacy protection. It’s currently on its Version 3.6.0, which is ready to support the latest macOS Catalina. iMobie has made significant changes to the software since its first version upgrade in 2015.
This duplicate file finder specifically cleans up system and internet junk, malicious cookies, and privacy issues. If you encounter these types of space-consuming clutter on your Mac, then MacClean would be the best partner to work with.
Other duplicate file finders on this list have a 30-day money-back guarantee. But with MacClean, you have 60 days to prove that this tool isn’t working as it should. iMobie has such confidence in their product that they’re willing to extend the grace period by twice as long.
- Very responsive email and ticket support
- Effective in cleaning files and malicious cookies
- Fast scanning process
- Crashes more often than others
- Might find it hard or be unable to locate old, large files
- System requirements: macOS X 10.12 or later
- Best for: Github users
- Price: Completely free to use and download as there are no premium plans to be availed.
If you’re a fan of apps created using Python 3 or anything GitHub-related, dupeGuru is your best match. This duplicate file finder of a graphic user interface (GUI) tool has wider compatibility than the rest of the items on this list. Not only can this be used for your Mac, but it can also be used for Windows (32-bit and 64-bit), Ubuntu (32-bit and 64-bit), and Source (zip and tar.gz).
Among the special features of dupeGuru is its ability to scan pictures and delete similar-looking but actually different files. You can also take advantage of its Preference page, where you can customize how this tool operates.
- Has four different view modes for a better look at your files
- The Save Results and Delta features are very handy to use
- Can preview files before deletion
- Not updated since 2016
- Has an inconvenient image preview
- Finds relatively fewer duplicates than other file finders
8. Easy Duplicate Finder
- System requirements: Mac OS X 10.6 – 10.12.2 Sierra
- Best for: Dealing with work and business email duplicates
- Price: The manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price per year starts at $59.95.
The Easy Duplicate Finder (EDF) tool has robust features that make searching and deleting unnecessary files from your Mac much easier and faster. Most of the time, you can rely on its Wizard tool because with just a few clicks on your mouse, like the swish of a wand, useless files will be gone. Right now, you can choose between EDF 7 and 5. But if your Mac is a newer version, then the EDF 7 will be more fitting.
Aside from that, this duplicate file finder also has the most number of scan modes to customize your experience. There’s even an Undo button, should you accidentally delete files that weren’t meant to be deleted. The Easy Duplicate Finder tool can also be used to delete duplicate emails to help you out when work or business emails are too much to handle.
You can download this tool for free or upgrade to their plans, which include unlimited updates for 1 year.
- Fast and accurate scans
- Only has two views, but they make up for flexibility
- Undo button is a life-saver
- Can be used for duplicate emails
- Slightly unresponsive customer support
- The user interface is a bit old-fashioned
- Relatively expensive for its feature set
9. Tidy Up 5
- System requirements: macOS 10.12.0 or greater
- Best for: professional-level users
- Price: Their pricing per license type starts at $29.99
Now on its fifth version, Tidy Up is a powerful duplicate file finder specifically designed for modern professionals. There’s a steep learning curve for this tool, but if you’re techy and willing to learn, why not give this app a try?
Lightroom users will be glad to know that they can use Tidy Up to clear some space on this app. This duplicate file finder is even capable of scanning multiple libraries. For example, two Photos libraries and three Lightroom libraries. How cool and efficient is that? No more scanning five times just to get rid of duplicates.
Tidy Up 5.4.5 is now more ready to deal with hard links, multiple search criteria, and even items that need administrator-level permissions to get access. If you’re specifically looking for this kind of power and strength in a duplicate file finder, then Tidy Up is the winning candidate.
While other tools on this list offer free versions to download, Tidy Up 5 can only present its market with a free trial. If you want to upgrade three computers from a lower version of Tidy Up, it’ll cost you $23.99.
- Excellent performance for its price
- More customization options
- Perfect for professional and tech-savvy users
- Functions better with Umbrella (another product from its developer, Hyperbolic Software)
- More complex utilities
10. Duplicate Detective
- System requirements: OS x 10.7 or greater
- Best for: minimalists
- Price: $4.99
Duplicate Detective is next to dupeGuru in terms of budget. For a low price, you can already use all the features that this duplicate file finder offers. It has a robust search engine created using its proprietary algorithm. You’ll know the difference once you use it! In addition, Duplicate Detective has an auto-selection feature to shorten the process of removing files in bulk.
While it’s hard to gauge the aesthetics of these tools, Duplicate Detective’s user interface is clean and crisp, so it remains easy on the eyes, which is good because scanning with this app takes a little longer than usual.
- Cheapest of all paid duplicate file finders
- Simple but functional design
- Features are only worth the amount you pay for
- No advanced search options
- Can be time-consuming because its features are basic
The easiest way to find duplicate files on your Mac would be to install a duplicate file finder. There are many free duplicate file finder programs for Mac that you can use without much hassle. The easiest ones we can recommend are Gemini 2, MacKeeper, and MacClean 3.
A duplicate file finder is a program that looks for duplicate files on your Mac. The purpose is to delete duplicate files, helping you clear space and clutter on your machine. Duplicate file finders have different view modes, are free, and are easy to install.
The easiest way to find duplicate files on your Mac without installing an app is by opening Finder and creating Smart Folders of your files. Simply design your smart folder to segregate by Kind and choose the types of files you want to collect. You’ll be able to view your files and locate duplicates quicker.
There are several reasons why you have duplicate files on your Mac, but the common causes are apps that save old files when updating. You may have also created backups in the past, thereby duplicating files by accident.
Duplicate file finders are generally safe, especially if you’re using a program in the community for a long and have a good record for safety. If you’re still hesitant, you can always review all the duplicate files that your file finder manages to collect before deleting them—so you can avoid deleting important files accidentally.
Yes, dupeGure is a completely free duplicate file finder that you can use for your Mac. But if you want more options, you can check out the limited free versions and free trials offered by other software on this list.
Space-consuming files aren’t healthy for your Mac’s performance. Maybe it’s been a while since you’ve been telling yourself that you’ll just get back to the duplicate files you’ve been meaning to delete.
If you haven’t yet decided which of the 10 best duplicate file finders to use and download, here is our shortlist of recommendations: For professionals in photography, filming, and other file-heavy tasks, Tidy Up 5 is heaven-sent. For maximum optimization, security, and privacy protection, go with MacClean 3. If you want to have the best value for your money, you can go with Duplicate Detection or MacKeeper.
For us, the best all-around deal goes to MacKeeper. It’s perfect for general cleaning and long-term maintenance, so you won’t have to worry about duplicate files again.
We hope you take this article as a sign to finally eliminate all the useless files that are eating up your file storage and subsequently affecting your device’s performance. You’ll be amazed at how well your machine can perform again once you do!