Deleted important iMessage conversations and wondering if it is possible to retrieve them or not. Fortunately, there are various ways to restore iMessages from iCloud backup.
For instance, there is an official method from Apple, but it is time-consuming and requires you to delete all the data from your iPhone. Alternatively, there is a selective way to retrieve iMessages from the iPhone. This guide will show you both methods to recover iMessages from iCloud.
Note: If you are using iOS 16, iPadOS 16.1, or later and want to recover iMessages that have been deleted within the last 30 days, follow these steps to recover iMessages without iCloud or any other tool:
- In the Messages app, select Edit.
- Choose Show Recently Deleted.
- Choose the desired deleted message and click on Restore.
The official method to restore iMessages from iCloud requires you to erase all the contents on the iPhone and set it up again.
While this method is straightforward, there are some limitations and risks that you should know. For instance:
- You cannot restore only iMessages from the iCloud backup. You must restore all the data and settings, including apps, photos, contacts, and other data. In fact, all the changes you made since the last backup — like installing new apps or changing settings — everything will be erased.
- You must have created the iCloud backup before you accidentally deleted the iMessages.
- There is also a risk of data loss. For instance, when you erase the device, it will delete all the recent data and settings, including your passcode.
- Ensure to create a backup before you erase the device, so if you need the recent data later, you can use restore from the new backup later. (See FAQ section to learn how to back up the iOS device).
Here’s how to restore iMessages from iCloud backup:
Step 1. Erase all Contents and Settings on the iPhone.
- Open Settings, and choose “General.”
- Navigate to the “Transfer or Reset iPhone” option and select it.
- Then select “Erase All Content and Settings.” Click “Continue” when you see the confirmation message.
Step 2. Choose Restore from iCloud backup.
- Press and hold the side button to set up the iPhone.
- Ensure to connect with a Wi-Fi network on the “Choose a Wi-Fi Network” screen.
- And on the “Apps & Data” screen, select “Restore from iCloud Backup.”
- Sign in via your iCloud Apple ID.
- Choose the desired iCloud backup (one that was created before the desired iMessages were deleted).
As mentioned, in order to restore iMessages from iCloud backup using the Apple recommended method, you have to erase all the contents and settings from your iPhone.
This may not be feasible or desirable for everyone, given they might not want to delete the recent data and activities captured on iPhones. So, in the next section, we will show you how to recover iMessages from iCloud backup without resetting your iPhone.
Selectively Recover Deleted iMessages from iCloud Backup
Looking for a more selective approach to restoring iMessages from iCloud backup without erasing your iPhone? Consider using a third-party iPhone data recovery tool like Tenorshare UltData is the way to go.
Tenorshare UltData lets you carefully choose iMessages (or any other files) you want to recover. This will not affect any other data or settings on the iPhone. Compared to the official method, it is less risky and faster — as it does not require you to erase recently created data on your iPhone.
Here’s how to restore iMessages from iCloud using Tenorshare UltData:
Step 1. Download and Install the Tenorshare UltData on your computer.
- Connect your iPhone to the computer using the lightning cable.
- Choose “Recover from iCloud Backup” on the main interface.
Step 2. Sign in to your Apple iCloud account.
- After successfully connecting the iOS device to the computer, choose the desired iCloud backup containing the iMessages you want to restore.
- And then, select the data type you want to scan and restore from the desired iCloud backup.
Step 3. Preview the iMessages
Click “Recover to Device” or “Restore to PC” to recover iMessages from iCloud backup.
That’s how straightforward it is to recover iMessages from iCloud using Tenorshare UltData, thanks to its user-friendly interface and powerful technology.
How to Restore iMessages on Mac
You can also restore iMessages on Mac via iCloud, given you’ve previously enabled Messages in iCloud on both your Mac and iOS devices. That is to say, this method will only work if you have synced Messages across all your devices.
Here’s how to recover deleted iMessages from iCloud on Mac:
Step 1. Open the Messages app on your Mac.
Choose “Messages” from the upper menu. And choose “Preferences.”
Step 2. Sign in to your iCloud account via the “Accounts” tab.
- Choose “Sync Now.” Given you have previously enabled the option to save messages to iCloud, you can access the deleted iMessages from the “Recently Deleted” folder.
- Choose the thread you want to restore, and click the “Recover” button.
That’s how straightforward it is to recover iMessages from iCloud on Mac. However, as mentioned, it works only if you have synced Messages across all your devices.
1. How can I enable iCloud backup for iMessages on iPhone?
Follow these steps to enable iCloud backup for iMessages on iPhone:
- Connect your iPhone to a Wi-Fi network.
- Open Settings.
- Click on your name.
- Choose “iCloud” from the list of options.
- Scroll down and ensure the toggle next to “Messages” is enabled. (You will see a prompt asking whether to delete the messages from your iPhone after backing up. Select the desired option).
- And click on “Back Up Now” to start the backup process.
2. How can I restore iMessages from iTunes or Finder backup?
Note: Like the official method to restore iMessages from iCloud on iPhone, even restoring the texts via iTunes or Finder erases all the data and settings.
- Connect the iPhone to the Mac.
- Open iTunes or Finder on the Mac (depending on the macOS version).
- Choose the iPhone on which you want to restore the deleted iMessages.
- And then, Select “Restore Backup.” Enter the password if you have encrypted the backup.
- And then Click “Restore” to complete the restore process.
Losing important iMessages can seem like the end of the world, but you can restore them easily using one of the methods mentioned in this guide. The recovery is guaranteed if you choose the official method to restore iMessages from iCloud or Tenorshare UltData. Of course, we have already outlined both methods’ benefits and drawbacks, so choose the most convenient option.