Ever wondered what makes your PC slower as you use it over time? Well, it’s your Operating System (OS). The longer we use a system, the more junk files it accumulates, thereby reducing the performance of your PC.
This is quite common in devices that run on Windows OS. You need to maintain your PC’s temporary memory by constantly removing junk from it. Of course, it makes no sense to do this manually.
With the right junk file cleaner, you can automatically erase every trace of junk files from your computer. This, in turn, results in a smoother and faster user experience.
Junk file cleaners for Windows are software that helps you to manage your computer memory by ridding it of irrelevant residual files. Using a random temp file cleaner may further worsen the situation by exposing your device to viruses, malware, and other attacks. Hence, to save you from such a predicament, we have compiled this article to help you choose the best junk file cleaner for Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7.
- CCleaner is a software utility from Piriform. It cleans unwanted files and previously installed program components. It also eliminates cookies, browsing history, and temporary internet data that hog up disk space unnecessarily. The software protects your privacy while working to make your computer faster and more secure.
- Advanced SystemCare is an optimization software and was the brainchild of IObit. Its main purpose is to improve computer performance and speed. It boasts a powerful one-click approach that easily cleans up junk files, sweeps privacy traces, and eliminates spyware threats. It also increases internet speed, fixes security holes, and strengthens system weaknesses.
- Ashampoo WinOptimizer is a unique junk file cleaner that boosts, cleans, and optimizes the performance of a PC. The application runs on a powerful technology that scans your Windows OS before improving its functionality and stability. It’s a simple program and requires no specialized technical knowledge to use.
What is a Junk File Cleaner?
A junk file cleaner is a computer cleanup and performance optimization software that keeps your system running like clockwork for as long as possible. Just as your car needs occasional servicing, your PC needs a tune-up once in a while. With time, the hard disk of a computer becomes cluttered with lots of garbage. The effects include but are not limited to the following:
- Disrupts typical functions
- Files become fragmented
- Windows registry becomes disorganized
- Disk caches fill up
It’s safe to say that your system starts to let you down when you need it the most. You can’t have that, can you? This is where a junk file cleaner comes to the rescue.
Besides limiting computer performance, junk files waste hard drive space. Most of it is unnecessary resources from redundant applications.
Who Should Get A Junk File Cleaner?
Junk files tend to accumulate every time you use your computer. You might wonder, if junk files are so annoying, why do they even exist? The fact is some temp files are useful. Here are a couple of everyday examples:
- When you open a document on Microsoft Word, the application creates another file to back up your work.
- When you browse the internet, your web browser downloads temporary internet files and pre-loads them so that whenever you revisit the same site, your pages load faster.
These are helpful features, but the problem is that the system doesn’t delete them when they’re no longer useful. This is how they become junk files.
We live in a modern age where technology is at the heart of everything, and at least 4 out of every 5 people use a PC. Therefore, everybody with these devices should have a temp file cleaner.
Let’s dive into the details of what these applications have to offer!
How We Tested and Picked the Best Junk File Cleaner for Windows 11/10/7/8 in 2024
By considering several criteria, we were able to rank different software in an attempt to pick the best temp file cleaner for Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7.
- Cleaning Efficiency: Deleting basic junk files with a single click feels good, but an excellent junk file cleaner should have deeper cleaning. It should be able to find and remove remnants of deleted files automatically.
- Features Set: Every cleaner will have its distinctive features but should be able to clean data automatically. It should also be able to identify and clean registry databases, uninstall unwanted software, and block external malware and viruses.
- User Interface: Having a wide range of features won’t matter if a file cleaner is difficult to navigate. It should have a straightforward interface where you can easily access its core functions.
- Compatibility: Some cleaning software doesn’t work with all Windows OS versions, so compatibility is a big issue we considered while making our choice. The best junk file cleaner should be compatible with more than one version of Windows. This article only considered their compatibility with Windows 11, 10, 8, and 7.
- Affordability: Most utility software have free and paid versions. A good file cleaner must be cost-efficient, giving users value for money. We placed the benefits and cost side-by-side while considering every software on our list.
Best Overall: CCleaner
You can’t talk about digital cleaning utilities without mentioning Piriform’s CCleaner. It’s arguably the best junk and temp file cleaner for Windows 10. CCleaner will work on any PC with Microsoft Windows 10, 8, 7, 2003, 2008, and 2012 server (all editions). Because it’s a small, quick program, there are no problematic ROM or RAM requirements.
The developers launched CCleaner in 2004, making it one of the oldest system cleaners for Microsoft Windows. Today, many consider it the world’s most popular PC cleaner.
The software performs deep cleaning functions to ensure privacy. It also protects your browsing privacy on a shared or public computer by deleting passwords and other internet files. This process ensures no one can monitor what you’ve been up to.
Aside from its wide range of system compatibility, the utility cleaner has a host of incredible features. They include:
- Extension guard
- Automatically analyzing and tuning up your PC’s performance
CCleaner also gives users maximum protection with its Webcam guard – stopping all applications and malware from accessing your Webcam without permission.
Almost anyone can use CCleaner’s key functions because it doesn’t require any expertise. It’s an easy-to-use software with one-click cleaning. Beginners can optimize their system in seconds.
Did you know that CCleaner has been downloaded by over 2.5 billion people? It has both free and professional versions. You can also get a 14-day free trial with no credit card prerequisite.
For $29.95, you can enjoy the software and its updates for a year. It also includes Recuva, which helps you to secure important files and avoid accidental loss of information.
Runner-Up: Advanced SystemCare
Another unique junk file cleaner for Windows 8, 10, and 7 is Advanced SystemCare. It also supports Windows Vista and XP. The software requires 300 MB of free disk space and works best with 1024 X 768 screen resolution and above.
With its fully-enhanced Privacy Sweep and Spyware Removal, you will erase activity history and surfing traces more thoroughly.
In addition to features like Ads-Removal and Face ID, Advanced SystemCare has email protection that can detect and block malicious links and suspicious senders. This feature will protect you from spam and phishing scams. It also has a software updater that updates your programs to the latest versions from time to time.
Advanced SystemCare allows you to customize your interface the way you want by giving you access to configure settings. It also has a health monitor that provides system information at a glance, making it easy to erase junk files and malware activities more accurately.
The service offers three options: free, pro, and ultimate. The free version gives you basic security protection, system optimization, and defragments the window registry. The pro costs $19.99 per year and the ultimate will cost you $29.99. Paid versions toss in an array of security tools that protect against viruses and trojan horses.
Also Great: Ashampoo WinOptimizer
If you’re looking for a more complex file cleaner, then Ashampoo WinOptimizer is probably your stop. It refines and updates all modules yearly for the best compatibility and performance with old and new Windows versions. It’s a Windows 10 junk cleaner and supports Windows 8/8.1 and 7.
Scrupulous cleanliness is a factor with Ashampoo WinOptimizer. You can delete files with file wiper and also permanently remove them from the recycle bin.
The software has several automated functions. Its one-click optimization erases web browsing traces, hidden data clutter, and redundant registry entries. Its results are far beyond what many other cleaners of its kind can deliver.
Ashampoo WinOptimizer has users in over 160 countries. This popularity is probably due to its regular improvements. It boasts of power system analysis for detailed information on installed software. It can also track down duplicates and remove stale applications.
Even though Ashampoo WinOptimizer is free, you can purchase an upgraded version for $39.99 to enjoy superior tools.
As a multilingual utility application, AVG Tuneup has been around for much longer than most clean pc junk files software. Since its initial launch in 1997, it has released more than 18 tune-up utilities and supports Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, and 10.
AVG Tuneup is a commercial program whose primary function is to identify and resolve problematic issues on Windows. The software fixes problems that slow down your computer’s performance. It has a file recovery system alongside a disk wiper to ensure you keep the data you need and delete unwanted information.
The application is the successor of TuneUp Utilities, a software that lasted until 2014 when AVG decided to change its name to AVG PC TuneUp.
Like its other counterparts, AVG Tuneup has its own box of cool features, one of which is the “Sleep mode.” This works by identifying software with lots of startup items or processes running in the background. Next, it puts them to sleep until you have use for them.
As an extra perk, it has a software updater that allows you to download any application update easily. It supports over 50 apps, such as VLC Media player, Skype, and Firefox.
Although the cleaner is free, access to its many features is limited. The free version is a teaser that lets you run the maintenance tools and see problematic areas in your system. You can’t entirely fix any of the issues while on a free plan. However, the premium version is fully operational but costs $49.99. It has a 60-day free trial that allows you to use its full features until you decide to go all in.
Systweak Advanced System Optimizer
If you are in the market for a smooth temp file cleaner with an easy-to-use navigation system, then you should consider Systweak Advanced System Optimizer. It’s a great alternative to CCleaner because it works on Windows 10, 8, 7, and even Vista and XP (supports both 32 and 64bit versions).
Systweak Advanced System Optimizer is a utility suite for fixing driver issues and cleaning junk files. It also provides protection from malware and several other functions for optimizing PC performance. It has over 16+ Windows optimization tools.
For gamers who value optimum speed, Systweak Advanced System Optimizer creates a private virtual desktop for gaming. This desktop is free from distractions such as pop-ups and email alerts, giving you uninterrupted game time with friends and family.
It also possesses a secure delete feature that permanently removes files and folders with methods similar to the U.S. Department of Defense. This will help you to erase any private or sensitive information with confidence. The same applies to caches, junk files, and internet traces.
In addition to its many features, it has a file recovery privilege that gives you access to deleted files or folders. This feature will come in handy when you accidentally delete files or lose data to disk corruption.
Wise Disk Cleaner
This software has a customizable interface with a convenient control panel. It also has a multilingual system that supports over 40 languages and is compatible with Windows 7/8/10, XP, and Vista.
Wise Disk Cleaner frees up disk space by deleting the temp files that the applications on your computer system no longer find useful. It has features that can identify up to 50 kinds of junk files in your system. The software is easy to use because the controls are minimal and straightforward.
With its scheduled automatic disk cleanup, you can set Wise Disk Cleaner to clean up on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis.
Wise Disk Cleaner also has a solid backup and restore feature that automatically backs up the registry before performing cleaning functions. This means you can restore your registry to its previous point if you encounter system problems.
One of the most exciting aspects of this service is that its disk cleaner is free to download and use. You’ll also get to enjoy automatic updates and technical support via email.
After in-depth testing of numerous temp file cleaners for Windows, we’ve found six of the very best. They will help clean junks, remove temporary files, and restore your PC to its optimal operating capabilities.
While there are many free optimizer applications available in the online market, we’re sure you want to get the very best for your PC. Now, you have all the information you need to choose the best junk file cleaner for Windows 10, 8, and 7.
While we ranked these applications according to the parameters set by our expert reviewers, you still have the final say on your choice. We brought all their benefits, features, and cost-efficiency to light so that you can decide on what suits you. Consider your budget, system capabilities, gaming needs, and overall workload.
- Best Software to Monitor CPU and GPU Temp for Windows
- Best Disk Defragmenter for Windows
- Best File Shredder Software for Windows
- Best Driver Update Software for Windows
- Best Hard Disk Drive Health Check Software for Windows
- Best Ad Blocker for Microsoft Edge on Windows
- Best Uninstaller Program for Windows
- Best Mac Cleaner Software